By Nigel Alderman,C. D. Blanton
- An old evaluation and significant advent to the poetry released in Britain and eire during the last half-century
- Introduces scholars to figures together with Philip Larkin, Ted Hughes, Seamus Heaney, and Andrew Motion
- Takes an integrative technique, emphasizing the complicated negotiations among the British and Irish poetic traditions, and pulling jointly competing trends and positions
- Written via critics from Britain, eire, and the United States
- Includes feedback for extra studying and a chronology, detailing an important writers, volumes and events
Read Online or Download A Concise Companion to Postwar British and Irish Poetry (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar british & irish poetry books
In 450 entries ranging in size from three hundred to greater than 2500 phrases every one, this publication is an A-to-Z encyclopedic consultant that introduces highschool and school scholars to a few of the best-loved twentieth and 21st-century British poets and poetry.
This choice of unique essays via a global group of Hughes students demonstrates afresh how key contextual and theoretical techniques to the poet's paintings serve to light up the texts. half I reads Hughes' poems via cultural contexts whereas half II examines his paintings in the course of the frames of more than a few literary theories.
It is a booklet of a hundred poems of serious richness and diversity. certainly, it truly is really a landmark ebook. it really is an incredible literary and educational occasion in itself. Professor Lord Asa Briggs is among the most crucial historians of england. he's world-renowned for his paintings in social heritage, tradition, and communications.
Her books were out of print for thirty years -- this brings her best poetry to a new release of recent readers. Frances Cornford (18861960) used to be the granddaughter of Charles Darwin, and in addition concerning William Wordsworth. In 1928, Cornford's varied Days was once the 1st within the Hogarth residing Poets sequence released via Virginia and Leonard Woolf.
Extra info for A Concise Companion to Postwar British and Irish Poetry (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Concise Companion to Postwar British and Irish Poetry (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture) by Nigel Alderman,C. D. Blanton